Most deaths of Illlinois nursing home residents are from natural causes – meaning they are caused by unavoidable factors such as old age, declining health, etc. However, some deaths of nursing home residents are caused by nursing home abuse and/or nursing home neglect. [please note: these issues are also relevant to other Illinois long-term health care facilities such as retirement homes, assisted living facilities, skilled nursing facilities (SNFs), hospices and hospitals.]
If a death of an Illinois nursing home resident was caused by nursing home negligence or nursing home abuse, then an Illinois wrongful death lawsuit can be filed. However, in order for a wrongful death suit filed against the nursing home be successful, the lawyer needs to prove such nursing home negligence led to the death of the resident.
There are various signs that may indicate that the death of an Illinois nursing home resident was caused by negligence or some other factor that would allow a wrongful death lawsuit to be successful in attaining monetary compensation. Of course, before one can reach any type of legal conclusion over whether a death was caused by negligence, one should discuss the situation with a qualified Illinois personal injury lawyer. The lawyer will know the steps and actions that should be pursued in proving negligence led to or caused the death of the Illinois nursing home resident. The lawyer will also know of other legal considerations, such as the applicable statute of limitations.
Here are a few of the factors that may indicate that a death was caused by nursing home abuse and/or nursing home neglect:
- Illinois nursing home deaths that happen due to health complications caused by bed sores (also commonly referred to as bedsores, pressure sores and pressure ulcers)
- a death that happens due to improper administration of a medication or a pharmacy error
- a death that happens after an avoidable nursing home accident
- a death that is unexplained or seems suspicious in nature
- a death that happens due to poor operating procedures in the nursing home, such as when a medical emergency happens and it is not properly acted upon
- a death that happens due to a nursing home resident falling due to an error made during the resident’s transportation
- a death that happens due to inappropriate physical restraints
- a death that occurs because of malnutrition and/or dehydration
- a death that happens due to an avoidable infection
If you suspect that a death that has occurred in an Illinois nursing home has been caused by nursing home negligence, nursing home abuse, or some other improper action, please contact the Elman Joseph Law Group to discuss the situation and to receive legal counsel. This consultation is provided free and is confidential in nature.
Elman Joseph Law Group has handled Illinois personal injury lawsuits for 20+ years. During this time, we have built a widely-held reputation for being highly skilled in taking cases to court. This capability is important for clients’ cases because if we are unable to attain an appropriate settlement of a lawsuit, we have a proven track record of achieving highly attractive court verdicts.
In fact, because of this court trial capability, many law firms choose to have Elman Joseph Law Group take cases to court.
To immediately speak directly with Tony Elman, Lead Attorney of the Elman Joseph Law Group, call (773) 392-8182 at any time. There is no charge for this confidential legal consultation.